15.11.09

Leaving San Diego - hello L.A!!!

After the surf lesson, we checked out of the hotel and went for a last tour at the beach, but it was freezing and we got attacked by sea gulls because Cédric thought throwing a crumble the other way would make them leave!!! We ate with a good deal of stress – I HATE SEA GULLS!! - and left. We drove to my mum's old high school from '66? We took a couple of pictures and went down to the Gaslamp District, where Cédric wanted to get his usual T-shirt from Hard Rock Café. I went down to Office Depot to get another memory card for may camera and got chatted up by this long-haired blond, surfer-type guy who cycled people around town... but in a nice way, not pushy like French guys would have been ;o)

Getting gas for the trip to LA, we saw the most beautiful sunset over the San Diego Harbor, of which I got some great shots, of course..

The drive went OK, but we were grateful to be two and profit from the carpool lane, because there were some serious jams on the way into L.A and we realized exactly how big this city is!! The road was never-ending...
We hadn't already booked a hotel, but we'd seen one in Santa Monica in our guide, but when we arrived, they only had a fully equipped apartment left, which would have been money thrown out of the window, so we went to a hotel a friend recommended on Venice Beach, Cadillac Hotel. It was difficult to find, because it was in a shady alley with bums jamming downstairs and brawling people in front of it, but it was actually really nice inside, recently renovated and all! We'd read the comments on the Internet and people complained about it being noisy, but we're used to Old Town Nice, so we didn't hear a thing!!
We went out for dinner at James' Beach and it was a nice place, a bar and a restaurant at the same time, but the food I ordered was so mismatched: tuna tartar, but with these chips tasting just like donut-grease, won ton thingies... I hate donuts! BUT, mixed with the rosé wine we ordered, it tasted just like almond cake!! And I'm not used to fish tartar being so finely “chopped”, it was mushy and shaped like a fish... and they'd put some Chinese spices in it... I hate Chinese... So weird...
But I got a bit drunk, so it was fine! :o)
We went back to the hotel where the smell of weed invaded the hallways, but I guess that somehow helped us sleep.. LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment